Tuesday, November 02, 2004

 

[Fwd: Fw: One Bedroom Flat (TRUE Story - Good One)]

>Ponderable...is't it.....(This is a true Story)
>
>As the dream of most parents I had acquired a degree in software
>Engineer and joined a company based in USA, the land of braves and
>Opportunity.
>
>
>When I arrived in the USA, it was as if a dream had come
>true.Hereat last I was in the place where I wanted to be. I decided I
>would be
>staying in this country for about Five years in which time I would
>have earned enough money to settle down in India.
>
>My father was a government employee and after his retirement,the
>onlyasset he could acquire was a decent one bedroom flat.I wanted to
>do
>some thing more than him. I started feeling homesick and lonely as
>the time passed. I used to call home and speak to my parents every
>week using cheap international phone cards.
>
>Two years passed, two years of Burgers at McDonald's and pizzas and
>discos and 2 years watching the foreign exchange rate getting happy
>whenever the Rupee value went down. Finally I decided to get
>married.Told my parents that I have only 10 days of holidays and
>everything
>must be done within these 10 days.
>
>
>
>I got my ticket booked in the cheapest flight. Was jubilant and was
>actually enjoying shopping for gifts for all my relatives and
>friendsback home.If I miss anyone then there will be talks. After
>reaching home I
>spent home one week going through all the photographs of girls
>andasthe time was getting shorter I was forced to select one
>candidate.
>In-laws told me, to my surprise, that I would have to get married in
>2-3 days, as I will not get anymore holidays soon and they cannot
>wait for long.
>
>
>After the marriage, it was time to return to USA, after giving
>somemoney to my parents and telling the neighbors to look after them,
>we
>(I was lucky and managed to get the visa of my wife early) returned
>to USA.
>
>My wife enjoyed this country for about two months and then she
>started feeling lonely. The frequency of calling India increased to
>twice in a week sometimes 3 times a week as she also has to call her
>parents. Our savings started diminishing.After two more years we
>started to have kids.Two lovely kids, a boy and a girl, were gifted
>to us by the
>almighty. Every time I spoke to my parents, they asked me to come to
>India so
>that they can see their grand-children.Every year I decide to go to
>India.But part work, part monetary conditions prevented it. Years
>went by
>and visiting India was a distant dream.Then suddenly one day I got a
>message that my parents were seriously sick.I tried but I couldn't
>get any holidays and was stuck up in the procedures and thus could
>not go to India. The next message I got was my parents were passed
>away and as there was no one to do the last rites the society
>membershad done whatever they could. I was depressed. My parents
>passed
>away without seeing their grand children.
>
>After couple more years passed away, much to my children's dislike
>and my wife's joy we returned to India to settle down.
>
>I started to look for a suitable property, but to my dismay my
>savings were short and the property prices had gone up during all
>these years. I had to return to the USA. My wife refused to come
>back with me and my children refused to stay in India. My 2 children
>andIreturned to USA after promising my wife I would be back for good
>after two years.
>
>Time passed by, my daughter decided to get married to an
>American and my son was happy living in USA. I decided that enough
>is enough and wound-up every thing and returned to India. I had
>just
>enough money to buy a decent Two-be droom flat in a well-developed
>locality. Now i am 60 years old and the only time I go out of the
>flat is
>for the routine visit to the nearby place of worship. My faithful
>wife has
>also left me and gone to the holy abode.
>
>Sometimes I wondered was it worth all this? My father, even after
>staying in India, had a house to his name and I too have the same,
>nothing more.
>
>
> I lost my parents and children for just ONE EXTRA BEDROOM. Looking
>out from the window I see a lot of children dancing.This damned
>cable TV has spoiled our new generation and these children are losing
>their values and culture because of it.I get occasional cards from my
>children asking I am alright.Well at least they remember me. Now
>perhaps after I die it will be
>the neighbors again who will be performing my last rites,God Bless
>them.
>
>
>But the question still remains 'was all this worth it?'
>
>
>I am still searching for an answer................



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?